Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Carrot Cake Cupcakes

My friend recently shared  her healthy carrot cake recipe with us. It is so good that I make the muffins for my girls all the time and don't feel guilty about them eating as many as they want. In fact the first time I made them I had a dozen on the counter after dinner. By the time the girls went to bed they were all gone. Kirk only had 3. I didn't have any. Between my two girls they had eaten 9! Audrey loved them so much she didn't bother taking off the liner and ate right through it. So if you are looking for a healthy muffin/cupcake recipe look no further!

Carrot Cake
2 1/2 carrots, shredded
set aside carrots
1 medium apple-cored and cut into eigthes
1/2 medium orange-peeled
Place in blender or food processor and pulse 30-40 times. Stop after every 10 pulses and scrape down sides. Pour liquefied fruit into a large mixing bowl. Then add:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups of whole wheat flour
Add shredded carrots. Mix well with hand mixer. Pour into a greased 9 inch round cake pan bake at 350 for 30 minutes. This is a really dense cake. I usually just top it with a little powdered sugar. For cup cakes, use paper liners and bake for 15-20 minutes. Makes about 18-20 cupcakes.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

1 comment:

  1. Man, nothing is better than healthy cupcakes! And Audrey makes it look like nothing is better :)Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete