Monday, August 29, 2011

To my darling little Audrey

Dear Audrey
My sweet baby girl, I can't believe you will be two in only a couple days! Back in January when I was writing on the calendar that you would be turning two in late August my heart sunk. Two seemed so far away and you already acted like you were two, the next 8 months were sure to be long and full of battles about who was actually in charge of our home. I wasn't exactly wrong, we had plenty of battles, but you have brought so much joy, so many smiles, and so much love that I would repeat those 8 months over and over if I had the chance.
32 months ago I was visiting with my sister Kristy on the phone when your Dad brought a pregnancy test home from the store. I had been feeling weird and well, pregnant so he ran to the store so we could "know for sure." I had to use the bathroom so badly that I just went ahead and took the test while on the phone with my sister. I was shocked to see a positive result. She was in the middle of a interesting story but I was so surprised that I made her stop mid sentence, but then I realized I should tell your Dad before I told my sisters so then I told her to continue on with her story, but of course my focus was completely shot. I was pregnant! Pregnant! With another sweet baby! We didn't have a job, oh no! Are we sure we are ready to have another baby? My thoughts were everywhere and poor Kristy got off the phone with me and thought I was rude, oops! Good thing sisters are understanding. I ran and told your dad it was positive. He was sitting at the computer doing homework and the smile he got on his face when I told him we were pregnant with you is one I will never forget. He was so unbelievably excited. He helped my worries and fears melt away. How could we be anything but excited when you were on your way to our family? We celebrated at our favorite restaurant and Kirk told the waitress our good news and we got free dessert. I had some spotting early in the pregnancy and my hcg levels kept dropping so I was so afraid we were going to lose you. I was so afraid you wouldn't be joining our family. Your father and I prayed and prayed that you would be born healthy and strong. Healthy and strong you definitely were! You were born screaming and haven't really stopped. Your lungs are perhaps a little too developed :).
During my pregnancy I felt the strength of your spirit multiple times. I remember specifically one night while I was praying I felt the strength of your spirit so strong. I know you have a very strong spirit. I know you have faith that will be able to move mountains, it is simply who you are. I feel so honored to be your mother. Another time I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and stopped dead in my tracks because I felt so strongly that you are one of my closest friends. You and I were really close in the premortal life. I am so excited for you to become an adult, seriously I can't wait.
The day you were born I was a basket case of emotions. I was to the point that I wanted my body back and however that needed to happen make it happen. I was afraid of being the mother of two very young babies. I was so anxious to meet you, to hold you in my arms and see what you looked like. The hardest part about having a c-section is that it takes at least 30 minutes between the time that baby is born until the mother gets to hold her sweet baby. I watched while a dozen other people held and loved you longing for my turn. But my turn finally came in the recovery room. When I held you in my arms for the first time it was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. It was seriously a piece of heaven in my room holding you. Feeling your huge spirit joining me on earth. I knew right then that there would be more children joining our family. I loved you so much. So very very much. It was one of the very happiest moments of my life. 
I have always loved you so much. I think you are seriously one of the cutest people ever to come to earth. You make me so happy every day. You are so kind and thoughtful of other people. You are always going out of your way to help someone else, it is who you are. You do it without thinking. You are as smart as a whit and I am constantly astounded at the things you are saying, thinking, or remembering. You are such a tease and know just how to make us smile. With your bouncy curly hair and bossy attitude you are easily the cutest little girls to ever to turn two.  And I am so excited that I get to be your mother celebrating your life with you.
Love,
Mom
Holding you for the first time

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Dynelle this is so sweet. I am so glad that you wanted to share it with us all. I think it is perfect and you have such a good way of telling her story. Audrey is so lucky to have you as a mother.

    ReplyDelete