Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Missing Kirk tonight

honeymoon back in 05
"Although I might not see him as often as I like, 
he's still my first and last thought everyday and night." 

I am not such a fan of Kirk traveling so much. Before each trip I think something like "oh it won't be so bad, the girls and I have a great routine down. It's only a couple days". But man alive I miss my man, ALOT! Being without a husband is two thumbs waaaay down. Plus being the only parent from 5:45 am to 8:30 pm is not so desirable.
On his mission Kirk met a couple who had not spent a night apart in the 15+ years they had been married. He really admired them and made a decision to be like that couple. I readily agreed because why would I want to be away from him? Easy decision. Our first night apart was 21 months after we were married. I went to girls camp, it was a huge decision for us to let me go. We were both miserable at the thoughts of not spending each night of our marriage together like we had hoped. Kirk stayed up playing Zelda all night because he refused to go to bed without me (we were so dramatic!)
These days one night apart doesn't seem so bad. Now we are happy when it's only a 3 night trip. Too bad the girls are to young to play Zelda, ha ha. 
Anyway, I miss him terribly tonight. He comes home soon though, yay! We are so grateful he has a job he enjoys so much. He enjoys the different experiences (including the rental cars and being a "food critic"). I love that he makes the most of every trip, he works long into the night when he is away so he can spend more time with us when he is in town, and if circumstances permit he always goes to the temple. 
I suppose when we were young we thought that never being apart would prove how much we loved each other. I thought making plans to stay in love would guarantee a perfect marriage for us. I couldn't have planned to love Kirk this much six years after our wedding day. How could I have when I didn't know love this strong existed? I love Kirk Tomson Howcroft with everything that I am. He is everything to me. I am so grateful I am the lucky girl who gets to be his wife.
Eternity might just not be long enough with my Howcroft man, 
but I suppose it will have to do :)

5 comments:

  1. well shoot. you just made me cry. and i just barely put make up on for the first time in 3 days. dang it.

    you guys are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing writer and an even more amazing woman! I have to say I'm like Kirk and always stay up late messing around so I don't have to go to bed alone. I admire your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you handle nights apart proves even more how much you love each other than if you were to surpass that couples' record. You two are such a romantic, cute, and admirable eternal couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss this post? This is so sweet. I love it. It has got to be so hard to have him away so much, but you guys are such a good example of a great marriage. Heck I thought I was going to die when Cody was gone hunting for a few days. Props to you guys and I love that last line. Eternity really doesn't seem enough when you find the right man :)

    ReplyDelete