Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was a slight bust this year. Not only do we have church at 8 am but Kirk and I had to speak. I had such a hard time trying to decide what I wanted to say in my talk. I ended up just telling stories of my mom, Kirk's mom, and various prophets mothers (that I stole from this month's friend). It turned out ok and I have to share my favorite story told by Elder Holland's wife:


For three days in a row, my son Duffy (who is our eleven-year-old linebacker) leaped from some hidden corner of our home to throw a body block on me, Super Bowl style. The last time he did this, in my effort to avoid the blitz, I fell on the floor and knocked over the lamp and found my fight elbow wedged up somewhere near my eyebrow. I completely lost my patience, and I scolded him dearly for making me his tackling dummy.
His response melted my heart when he said with tears rolling down both cheeks, “But, Mom, you’re the best friend a guy could have. I thought this was as much fun for you as it was for me.” Then he added, “For a long time now I’ve planned what I will say in my first interview as a Heisman Trophy winner. When they ask me how I got to be so great, I’ll tell them, ‘I practiced on my mother!’”
Cutest story ever!
We came home from church and I collapsed into bed (staying up until midnight preparing my talk). Kirk took a nap after I woke up while I made dinner and some brownies. The girls drew some pictures and the evening was relaxing. Kirk was hoping to buy me a new car for mother's day but when it didn't work out celebrating the holiday just kind of went sour. I tried not to care but I did. I cried and he apologized and we were both glad when the day was over. Isn't that how it goes sometimes? Holidays can be the best and so much fun or they can be slightly heartbreaking. Oh well.
I love my mother. I'm grateful for her in my life. I appreciate that she is continually trying to better herself and that she always has faith. I respect her and all that she did as a mother, very much. A story about her I told in my talk was that: 

I longed to be just like my mom growing up. I was lucky enough to be her big helper. I got to hold the dust pan while she swept the floor and hand her wet clothes to hang on the line. It was so cool to be like my mom doing chores and taking care of the “little kids.” At the time I was certain she loved having me follow her everywhere she went. As a mother now I realize how much patience and love she extended to me as I refused to be anything but her little shadow. 
I LOVE being a mom. It's hard and frustrating but I love it so much. There is nothing else I would rather do with my time or my life. I strive to do my best to teach, cherish, and love my children. Sometimes it's easy peasy and sometimes I cry in frustration. But I am just grateful for the opportunity I have to try. It doesn't hurt that I have the best kids ever either :)

My gift from Kirsten
Flowers for mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment