Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers Day 2009

Ever since I was little I was a true blue Daddys girl. My mom said she wanted to take lessons from me to learn how I wrapped him around my little finger so tight.

The classic story of me as a little girl happens when I was about 4. I slept in the hallway outside my parents bedroom (space was tight and there were 7 kids in a 3 bedroom house). After I had been tucked safely in my bed and my parents had turned in for the night I yelled for my "Daddy" until he got out to bed to see what was wrong.
"You forgot to kiss me goodnight"
He promptly kissed me goodnight and went back to bed. Not five minutes later I was calling for my "Daddy" again. He slowly climbs out of bed and comes to my side to hear
"My kiss went away".

What can I say he's always been my Papa Bear. I always felt like he was just mine until my littlest sister was born and he started calling her his "Big Special" sharing was so traumatic!
But I still adore my Dad to this day. I'm so grateful for his example, work ethic, and always being there for me.
Plus hes the best Grandpa
(he works hard to make sure we all know hes in the grandkid business)
I love you Papa Bear!


Then there is this guy
Who happens to be the best Dad.
I know, everyone says that about their husband...but I really mean it.
When I was 15 I made a serious list of qualities I wanted in my husband.
It was very specific and left no room for error.
Guess who checks off on everyone?
My Howcroft husband.
I love watching him as a Dad.

Before we had kids he was always worried that I would be so consumed by motherhood that I might actually forget him.
First of all he didn't know how challenging motherhood was and how much I would need his help.
Second of all he should have been worried about dividing his time between all his girls.
Kirsten and I don't like to share.
We both want him all to ourselves.
(Except I don't cry when he picks her up, like she cries when he sits by me...oh the drama)
I love you Kirk!
I'm so glad you are the Dad of all my girls
PS Our fathers day was fantastic. Sara made him a card telling him how excited she was to meet him. Kirsten had a scavenger hunt taking him through all their usual stops during a day. And I cooked my pants off for him (3 dishwasher loads mean we ate well)

2 comments:

  1. Your dad and your husband are amazing! Heavenly Father gave you just who you need. Can I tell you how much I love the story of your vanishing kiss?! So cute, I'm gonna tell it to Daniel (and my mom and sister too!) And I'm proud of you for not throwing a tantrum when Kirsten steals Kirk away from you. Must take patience and deep resolve ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cute breakfast and crown you made Kirk. And you say you're not creative!

    ReplyDelete