Sunday, May 8, 2011

I love mothers day!

I love that there is a day dedicated to mothers. A chance for us to honor, cherish, and offer gratitude to the woman who loves us unconditionally. I love the kind things people say about their mothers. I love the wonderful things said about mothers in general. It reminds me that being a mother is a divine work, how sacred and beautiful it is to be a mother. Mothers day makes me want to be a better mother.
Ohhhhhh and I love being a mother. It's challenging, exhausting, frustrating, and beautiful. Being a mother is twice as hard as I thought it would be, three times more delightful, and four times more rewarding. Being a mother is not for whimps, but it is an amazing experience that I am excited to dedicate my life to.
Napping with Kirsten
Enjoying one on one time with Audrey at the doctor
 My life as a mother is summed up perfectly in this picture. Kirsten and I were enjoying some down time while Audrey took a nap. I had Kirsten settled on the couch with the ipad watching Pocoyo and I told her I was going to the bathroom and would be right back. I was in the bathroom for 30 seconds when Kirsten came in and plopped down on the rug with her movie, at least I am never lonely! 
I am so grateful for my own mother. My sister Chelsey wrote a beautiful post about her here. I say AMEN to everything she said. Since I was young I have aspired to be like my mother. I loved being the middle child of nine just like she was. I adored babies just like her. I love books, gardening, mountains, beaches, family gatherings, cooking, sewing, and pictures/journaling just like her. My earliest memories include holding the dust pan for her while she swept the floor and handing her wet clothes to hang on the clothes line. When I was a senior in high school her and I were rowing a boat on Matt Warner lake together. We were both sitting at the back of the boat with the nose of the boat high in the air. We were rowing ourselves in circles and laughing until our stomaches ached. And then we started singing together, silly songs at the top of our lungs. Thinking of it makes me smile even now.
Another of my favorite memories was the day she took my bridal pictures.We were both living in Vernal and drove out to Provo to take the pictures. We stopped at the Vernal Wal-mart and to buy some film (I swear it was only 6 years ago) and grapes. Emotions were high (we were planning a wedding after all) and we were both feeling frustrated, I was in tears before long and told her that we should just forget the whole thing and go home. But she reminded me that this was a day that she had dedicated to me and wanted to make special and then left the decision up to me whether I wanted to go and have a special day or call it quits. We left our emotions and frustrations in Vernal and had a wonderful day together. She helped me get ready and into my dress. Then we walked around beautiful gardens taking pictures and she made me feel like the most beautiful bride ever. We had so much fun together and it ended up being such a special day. I wish I had a picture of her and I together that day but as you can tell she is a very talented photographer. I am one lucky daughter.
 I had a fabulous mothers day and was catered to by Kirk. My favorite gift was the flower and card Kirsten brought home from preschool. She was so very very proud of the flower and card. She has carried both around for 4 days now, we are lucky the flower is still alive. 
I am so grateful for my mother. 
And for the chance I have to be a mother. 
And for mothers day!

1 comment:

  1. I love how Kirst has been carrying it around for 4 days! That is so cute! You are a fabulous mother! I'm glad it was a great day. And we are so lucky to have such an awesome mom. Love you!

    ReplyDelete