Monday, August 17, 2009

Two Weeks

August 31 is the day. It's the last day of the month. It's my nephew Brayden's 10th birthday. It is two weeks from today. It is the day Audrey will be born!!!

Short version:
I've decided to write a short version for all of those out there who are grossed out about birthing experiences and just want to know the basics. We are going to have Audrey via c-section early morning on the 31st. Kirk's mom is going to come down and spend the week with us to help with Kirsten while I'm in the hospital. My mom will come down on Friday, the 4th, and stay with us just over a week to help with Kirsten while I heal and learn to become a mother of two. We can't believe Audrey will be here so soon and can't wait to hold our new daughter/sister in our arms.

Long version:
Everyone tells you when you are pregnant that delivery won't go as planned. I found out quickly how true that was when Kirsten was born. I certainly didn't think I would need a c-section. After 11 days of thinking I would go into labor any second Kirk and I found ourselves at the hospital early on March 4 waiting to be induced. Kirsten's birth story is here. Basically I never dilated past a 4 and that was reason enough for concern so she was born via c-section. Between her ear and the terrible pediatrician I had, I wasn't so concerned why we had a c-section and more concerned about Kirsten. I didn't have the best doctor as he never checked my incision or gave me any indication as to why I had the c-section or whether my subsequent pregnancies would need to be c-section.
Last Tuesday I went in for my 36 week appointment. Kirk was in California and so I had to take Kirsten with me...and if you've been to the doctor 36 weeks pregnant you know that it isn't ideal to have an 18 month old there. My doctor finally was able to get the operating report for Kirsten's c-section. Why exactly did I have to have a c-section? Will all my babies have to be a c-section? When they were performing the c-section on Kirsten it took them a while to actually get her out (I want to say 20 minutes, but I'm sure my sense of time was off). Well the c-section report says it took a really long time to get Kirsten's shoulders out. My current doctor was really alarmed by this. She says with a c-section it is easier to maneuver with the incision and rarely have a problem getting the baby out. She said if I would have tried to delivery vaginally it would have been a nightmare for me and Kirsten. Shoulders aren't something you want to mess with. Babies can have paralysis issues and die from shoulders bigger than their heads. Not to mention how terrible it would have been for me to recover. In my 11 hours of labor I never even dropped past a -1 station. Kirsten had a major cone head too from trying to come out herself. We did everything we could but a vaginal delivery was obviously not a good option for us. I'm so grateful we had a c-section. I couldn't imagine my life without Kirsten. Healing from surgery was not big deal with her in my arms.
And so that brings us to today. Do we take the chance and try for a vaginal birth. I want to try so badly. I want to know what it's like to have them put that newborn baby on my belly. To touch her and see her right away. I didn't get to see Kirsten for 20 minutes after she was born. I don't want to have to heal from surgery because I have a vibrant 18 month old running around my house who needs her mom.

But what if I have Audrey vaginally and she gets stuck in the birth canal and doesn't live through the delivery? It's not a risk I can take. And so we've decided to go ahead with the c-section. All that really matters is a healthy baby. And after the first couple of week no one will know the difference between vaginal and c-section, right?
The hospital down here, the only one, does scheduled c-sections on Wednesday of the 39th week of pregnancy...which would put my surgery on September 2. But in Utah children have to turn 5 on or before September 1 in order to go to school that year. Audrey is either going to be the very oldest or very youngest, but I would like to have the option to send her to school young, if she is ready. My doctor agreed and so the c-section is scheduled for August 31.

We toured the labor and delivery portion of the hospital last night. I was on the verge of tears the entire time. I think after how traumatic Kirstens experience was for me, I am terrified of anything going wrong again. Not to mention my newly acquired fear of hospitals. This experience of having children is definitely not for the faint of heart.
But so worth it.
Two weeks from today that picture will be of my sweet baby Audrey.

4 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you that I LOVE the name Audrey? I want to use that name but Jerrel isn't as in love with it as I am. I'm glad you get to use it!!! I hear you about the hospital anxiety. I have to have c-sections from now on too. I hope that you have a great experience and that everything goes as planned. You will do just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your having a c-section and dont have to worry about her being hurt!! I think that whatever way you get that baby here healthy is the PERFECT way..it doesnt matter if its a c section or vaginally! I'll be honest I was hoping you were going to have her on Sept 3rd...but what can you do;) I'm so excited to meet Audrey when we come in October:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dynelle, it was so fun to read both the short and long versions. Sounds perfect. Glad you know more details finally about Kirsten's birth and that you are doing what's best for Audrey. And I love that (going back to my comment on alliteration a few months ago) Audrey will be born in August! BTW, still owe you a phone call, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so Brayden and I are closer in age than Audrey and Brayden will be...weird.

    ReplyDelete