Saturday, August 23, 2008

Summer Break!

The week that all the kids in Provo start the school year is the week that Kirk and my summer break officially began. We are finished with our property management job, finished with summer school, and are so ready to relax. Kirk worked like a maniac this summer and did well in school...plus finished his junior English Independent Study class in two weeks (nothing like a two week deadline AFTER we already extended 90 days)!

Monday we went to the audiologist for Kirsten's right ear. Her outer ear has been abnormal since she was born. We weren't positive she could hear out of it even though she seemed to respond on her right side when we would say her name. The audiologist confirmed that at least part of her inner ear works. They would need to do more tests to confirm that she has complete hearing, but more than likely she can hear well. The sound is just muffled because there is skin covering the opening of her ear. So as long as her speech develops normally, we won't worry about doing anything more for her ear until she is 5. Then the doctors will be able to remove the skin covering the opening of the ear and make her a prosthetic ear. Kirk and I were never too worried because Kirsten is definitely normal, but we are glad to have our hopes confirmed.

This week my Mom, her friend Lori, Chelsey, her friend Tyra, and Amanda stayed with us. People were sleeping everywhere but the kitchen floor and the bathroom. We kinda wish my brother Brett were still around to sleep on the kitchen floor...but it's probably good that he is gone since he would sleep til 11:00 am most days. Mom, Chelsey, and their friends were here for Education Week. It sounded like they had a great time and were able to learn a lot. We really enjoyed having them in our home (especially since we got lots of chocolate covered cinnamon bears).

Brett has gotten Kirk addicted to civilization (the computer game). The game I heard all growing up (one of my brothers was always playing it) is now heard in my home. Kirsten likes to play with Kirk though, she'll randomly kick the keyboard and make him attack some country unwillingly...I'm so glad she's my daughter!Kirsten is growing so much. She's starting to sit up by herself. Whenever we lay her down she starts doing crunches because she'd rather sit up, it's really cute! Her hair has started growing a lot and we think it might be strawberry blonde! We think light red would fit her personality perfectly...a little spunky but sooo sweet.

2 comments:

  1. Civilization rocks! I played it a few weekends ago and remembered why I stopped... I spend WAY too much time playing when I have a game going. =)

    Love the pics and am very happy to hear the good news for Kirsten!

    xoxo
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  2. She can sit now?! Wow, I have got to see her. I'm glad the news about her ear was so hopeful...we all new it would be though. Enjoy your relaxing time, I know it will be short.

    ReplyDelete