Friday, February 3, 2012

He is Home!

Wednesday morning at 2:30 AM Kirk called from the hospital pay phone in Paris (11:30 am in France) to say his blood work cleared and he was coming home!!!! We were only able to talk for two minutes and then he had to go. I fell asleep with a smile on my face.
5 hours later the girls and I were awake eating breakfast and I was anxiously watching the clock wondering where in the world Kirk was. He didn't have a scheduled flight to catch because he wasn't sure when he would be able to leave the hospital. So he planned to go to the airport straight from the hospital and and hopefully catch a flight home that day. There was a flight that left just after 4pm with a layover in Atlanta and finally landing in Vegas at 11:30 that we hoped he would be able to catch. 7:30am in Vegas was 4:30pm in Paris and I hadn't heard anything from him. I was so worried about him! I knew he had left the hospital but then what? Did he catch a flight? Did he make it through customs? For the first time in 4 days no one was watching out for him and he was completely on his own. Was he ok? I stressed and worried about him all morning, on the brink of crying at any second. But at about noon in Vegas (9pm in Paris) I figured he would have called or made contact if he didn't make it on to a plane. So I relaxed and sure enough at 5pm on the dot I got a text from Kirk "I'm alive! And finally in the US!"
He had apparently barely made it on the plane, with maybe only 5 minutes to spare. He had looked for a phone but couldnt find one and the airport wifi was a steep $60. The airline took good care of him bumping him up to business elite and giving him the only seat in an entire row, leaving him with plenty of room to lie down. The plane ride was long and the lay over tiring but he survived.
I picked him up from the airport late that night. The relief we both felt was very welcomed. We shared the longest most "I cannot live another second without you" kiss. All night we acted like teenagers kissing, smiling, giggling...just so happy to be reunited. It was four and a half very long physically and emotionally exhausting days. To have them over was better than Christmas morning.
Yesterday was a very relaxed day. Kirk sat on the recliner all day recovering and the girls and I pranced around him smiling and doting on his every need. Today we were able to find a US doctor (because no one here will fill a prescription written in French) and get him so antibiotics. We are all catching up on sleep taking a couple hours to nap each day. We are all happy and healthy and that's all that matter these days. Thanks again for prayers and your kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment